Release date: 01/05/2007
A comprehensive overview of the avant-garde piano repertoire of Nelly (aka Pétro) van Doesburg, performed at De Stijl, Dada and Bauhaus events in Europe between 1920 and 1925.
Born in the Netherlands in 1899, Nelly met dynamic De Stijl founder Theo van Doesburg in 1920. Over the next decade the couple lived in Wiemar, where Theo was an associate of the influential Bauhaus art and architecture school, and then Paris. A conservatory-trained pianist, Nelly often accompanied her husband's lectures with carefully selected modernist piano pieces, as well as performing at Salon Dada soirees organised by Theo with Kurt Schwitters in Holland and Germany during 1922/23. Following Theo's premature death in 1931, Nelly established the De Stijl archive.
The pieces on this 76 minute CD are performed by Dutch pianist Peter Beijersbergen van Henegouwen, and include material by Erik Satie, Josef Matthias Hauer, Arnold Schoenberg, Francis Poulenc, Arthur Honegger and Jacob van Domselaer, whose austere Proeven Van Stijlkunst (1913-17) represents the application of Piet Mondriaan's neo-plastic principles to musical composition.
The CD features a deluxe booklet with archive images and detailed historical notes.
1. GIAN FRANCESCO MALIPIERO Barlumi (1917)
2. JAKOB VAN DOMSELAER Proeven Van Stijlkunst (1916)
3. FRANCIS POULENC Trois Mouvements Perpétuels (1918)
4. JOSEF MATTHIAS HAUER Tanz Op. 10 (1915)
5. VITTORIO RIETI Tre Marcie Per Le Bestie (1920)
6. ARNOLD SCHOENBERG Sechs Kleine Klavierstücke (1911)
7. ARTHUR HONEGGER Trois Pièces Pour Piano (1915-19)
8. ERIK SATIE Ragtime Parade (1919)
9. DANIEL RUYNEMAN Hallucinate (1915)
10. EGON WELLESZ Eklogen Op. 11 (1912)
11. NINO FORMOSO Ti-Ta-To
1. Arrive, 2. Clone, 3. Commune, 4. Comune, 5. Information, 6. Peace, 7. Re Kreation, 8. Search, 9. Vision Following a direct path onwards from...
6-panel digisleeve + 6-cards set limited to 800 copies.Call it drone-doom-dirge-shoegaze or any other in vogue nomenclature you like. It doesn’t matter. The music is...
Second edition on CD. Strictly limited to 450 copies housed in our luxurious, sturdy tip-on mini-LP gatefold packaging. Features slightly modified and expanded artwork, including...
The third Nadja installment for Essence Music and a much anticipated contrasting follow-up to the dreamgaze masterpiece “Queller”. "Sv" or 'Sievert' in full –...
Factory Benelux presents a brand new live CD by The Names, the cult Belgian new wave group known for their past association with Factory Records...
In Time is a new studio collection by acclaimed Belgian new wave group The Names, best known for their association with Factory Records and producer...
Names In Mutation is an archive CD featuring two side-projects by Belgian cold wave group The Names, best known for their work on Factory, Factory...
Nightshift is a two hour DVD based around The Names' homecoming concert at legendary Brussels venue Plan K on 15 December 2007. Shot in HD...