Independent Project Records
There aren't many compilations that highlight the best of a label's catalog and let you know what the label will become. Source both surveys the history of Independent Project Records and gives you a taste of what's in store as IPR prepares to relaunch with an extensive series of reissues and digs through the archives. Sure there are cuts by some of California's leading bands of the late twentieth century who blended post-punk, psychedelia, and atmospheric soundscapes, like Shiva Burlesque, Red Temple Spirits, the Ophelias, and IPR head Bruce Licher's groups Savage Republic and Scenic. Yet there are also acts working at the edge of rock and experimental trance music who never found a big alternative audience. And there are even goodies by icons who haven't previously issued music on Independent Project, like David J of Bauhaus & Love And Rockets. If there's a connective thread in this wildly eclectic trip through the sonicsphere, it's a determination to create spiritual-minded music that neither tries to follow trends nor create them. You'd be hard-pressed to compare the goth-flavored soar of Torn Boys, for instance, to much else. The same goes for the almost cabaret-ish whimsy of Woo, the warped space folk of AE Downs, or the ghost-from-the-fifth-dimension musings of Greenland & Craig. If collectable early post-punk's your thing, there's an alternative mix of a track from Bpeople's 1981 debut EP—not originally on IPR, but a taste of the numerous projects from other catalogs and archives the new IPR will revive and investigate. Spiced by alternative mixes, limited-edition rarities, demos, and live performances, Source is a sampler of musicians determined to sound like no others. With the kind of evocative cover design that has made IPR releases as immediately identifiable as those of iconic companies like 4AD, Elektra, Factory, and Impulse!, it’s also a label that will continue its mission to sound and look like no other, in the mainstream or the underground.
1. Half String – The Apathy Parade
2. Bpeople – You At Eight (Alternate Mix) (Previously Unreleased)
3. Scenic – Above The Rim
4. Shiva Burlesque – Chrome Halo (eight track demo) (Previously Unreleased)
5. Red Temple Spirits – The Soft Machine
6. The Ophelias – Capitol (Exclusive, Never-Before-Released)
7. Springhouse – No More Yesterdays
8. For Against – The Pennines (Exclusive, Never-Before-Released)
9. Savage Republic – First Siege
10. David J – (She’s Got) Chinatown in The Rain in Her Eyes (“Year Of The Monkey” mix by Tim Newman) (Exclusive, Never-Before-Released)
11. Jeffrey Clark and The River’s Edge Quintet – Swan (Hiroshi House Performance) (Exclusive, Never-Before-Released)
12. Lanterna – 1995
13. AE Downs – Goldmoon
14. The Invisible Opera Company of Tibet – Engines of The World (Previously Unreleased)
15. Woo – Dobbin’s Lost His Coconuts (Extended Version) (Previously Unreleased)
16. Torn Boys – Fountain of Blood (Live KDVS) (Exclusive, Never-Before-Released)
17. Greenland & Craig – The Flame (Previously Unreleased)
18. A Produce – Raga Riley
19. Exploratorium – The Penstemon Field
Release date: 02/25/2022. Is a Soft Generator a Soft Machine? Judging by the beautifully blossoming splatterpulse of the opening “Ack”, with its filters peeking (and...
Release date: 1/21/2022.1. Infinite Element2. L'ombra Blu3. Morsels4. Keep Up5. The Blue At The Horizon6. Divided Sun7. Quiet Light8. Whirlpool Sequence9. We Are But Water10. Belonging...
Advance digital single Sleepy Hamlet from The Ophelias album Bare Bodkin, which is scheduled for January 14 release.
Release date: 2/25/2022.The Ophelias burst out of the San Francisco indie rock scene in 1985 with their remarkable cover of the Southern folksong “Mister Rabbit”...
Release date: 2/25/2022.Expanded edition 2xCD in oversized pocket folder with booklet.Creators of what Uncut Magazine editor Allan Jones lauded as “…timeless, brilliant music” Shiva Burlesque was...
Release date: 12/3/2021. Single from the forthcoming Shiva Burlesque - Mercury Blues + Skulduggery release out 11/14/2022.
Release date: 1/14/2022.Independent Project Records is pleased to present Mutant Gifts (Live at St. John's) a single from New York-based interdisciplinary artist Alison Clancy. A...
Release date: 2/25/2022.1. Dreamland Tokyo 2:322. Mutant Gifts (Live at St. John's) 8:273. Mutant Gifts (Live at St. John's) - Radio Edit 4:56 Independent Project...